We are often asked, why am I still itchy after using a lice treatment? You’re thinking, “I’ve already done the treatment (Licefreee Gel or Licefreee Spray), and I’m still itchy, should I retreat?” Don’t panic, there’s no need to retreat unless:
- You find live lice (bugs).
- You are following up with a second treatment as recommended 7-10 days after the first treatment.
- Or, you think you think you might actually lose your mind if you don’t complete one more treatment, just for your peace of mind. In that case, do that second treatment; ease your mind. The great thing about Licefreee is that it is non-toxic and safe for repeated use.
Now, on to the business of itching; there are a few reasons to explain why one might still be itchy post treatment:
- You’ll notice that both Licefreee treatments use sodium chloride as the active ingredient, more simply known as salt. Salt, as we know, can be drying (think of salt’s effect on slugs!).
- You may have tried several other treatments prior to finding Licefreee. Repeated use of head lice treatments can also cause drying and irritation of the scalp (see bullet 3 in the previous section).
- Bite sites; yep, that’s right, bites! When a louse snacks on your scalp, that area can become irritated and also result in itching. This may continue even post treatment, until the bites have healed completely.
A deep conditioner may help restore moisture to your scalp post head lice treatment(s) to alleviate itching and dryness; and if you’re still itchy, remember, it does not necessarily mean you still have lice!