Nit combing is an important part of the head lice treatment process. In the many years we’ve been in the lice business, we have learned a few tips and tricks along the way that will make combing as easy as can be! Once you’ve completed your treatment of choice (according to the label directions), you can begin combing for dead lice and nits (lice eggs).
What you’ll need:
- A high quality nit comb (such as our stainless steel comb provided with Licefreee Spray!® & Licefreee!® Kit treatments)
- A hair brush to remove tangles
- Conditioner (any kind will do)
- Paper Towels
- Well-lit work space
How to comb out lice:
- Secure hair into 1 inch sections.
- If hair is tangled, apply conditioner and run the hair brush through to detangle.
- Start at the nape of the neck (where head lice like to congregate).
- Place comb at the scalp, and run it all the way through to the ends of the hair.
- Between each pass of the comb, wipe with a paper towel or rinse to remove any dead lice or nits the comb has captured.
- Repeat the process until every section has been completed.
- Once complete, rinse the hair and do a thorough inspection for any dead lice or nits that may have been missed during the initial comb-out.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP:
This is the time to indulge your children. Treat, pamper, splurge, and spoil them! In order to make the comb-out process quick, easy, and painless for both of you, it helps to distract them. Here are a few tried and true ideas:
- Sit them in front of the television and let them watch their favorite show/movie.
- Let them choose a special snack or treat.
- If you have multi-taskers, let them color, paint, draw, or craft, too!
With the right tools, process, and a positive attitude, your family will get rid of head lice in no time!